The Official Blog of Iain Rob Wright: An interview with Permuted Press author, Bryan Hall...

Thursday 12 April 2012

An interview with Permuted Press author, Bryan Hall...


The second author featured on this blog for April is horror maestro, Bryan Hall.  Here's what he had to say.

Tell us a bit about yourself.
Let's see if I can keep it short and sweet.  I've lived in the mountains of North Carolina for my entire life, write dark fiction and horror, and keep honeybees in my free time. 

Could you tell us what work you currently have available?
My debut novel "Containment Room 7" is available from Permuted Press in print, Ebook, and Audible Audiobook formats.  Plus I gathered up a bunch of my best short stories that once appeared in magazines and anthologies and released them as a print and Ebook short story collection titled "Whispers from the Dark"

Tell us about your latest release.
Containment Room 7 isn't your standard zombie book.  It's a sci-fi horror novel set on a deep space research vessel.  The crew finds a strange object floating around a black hole and brings it on board.  It starts to evolve into a monster while driving some of the crew mad.  They end up worshiping it, and from there all hell breaks loose.  It's got some Lovecraftian undercurrents, zombie action, and once it gets going it never lets up.

For someone unfamiliar with your work, how would you describe your writing?
Scary, I think.  I'll gladly dump a bucket of gore in a scene if it needs it, but I'm more concerned on real, lasting scares than shock value.  I want people to get that creepy feeling that makes them look over their shoulder while they're reading.  Plus, I want them to think about a story after they've finished it, about its themes and its dark, dirty soul.  I try my best to accomplish that in my writing.

What else do you have in the pipeline?
Lots.  There's a novel about demonic possession in a small town that's in the hands of a publisher right now – hopefully they'll pick it up.  I've got a southern gothic novella series I'm in the midst of writing – the first one's done and the second one will be done within a few weeks.  It's a ghost/mystery type thing that carries over one main character as he uncovers mysteries in various towns while we learn more about his own secrets.  That's in the hands of a publisher as well.  And I'm working on a novel about schizophrenia, ghosts, and the breakdown of families.   

What writers have had the most influence on your own writing?
Comic writers, actually.  Garth Ennis, Alan Moore, and Neil Gaiman are incredible and their stuff in comics is really worth a look if you've never read it.  Speaking strictly about novelists, I'd say Clive Barker, Jack Ketchum, Brian Keene, Cormac McCarthy, and Stephen King. 

What was the last thing you read?
I'm going to name off what I'm actually still reading since I started it far too long ago: Swan Song by Robert McCammon.  It's a beast of a book and as soon as I started it other priorities slowed my progress on it.  It's really good, but hopefully I'll finish it up soon because my Kindle is full of stuff I'm itching to get into.

Anything else you’d like to tell us about?
I'd like to say thanks to everyone who's bought, borrowed, or planning on picking up one of my books.  I hope you have fun with it.  And now that you mention it, I'd love to talk to you about Amway…

Check out Bryan's website at: www.bryanhallfiction.com

No comments :