The Official Blog of Iain Rob Wright: Interview with author, Alan Dale...

Tuesday 17 April 2012

Interview with author, Alan Dale...


On the blog today is talented writer, Alan Dale...

Tell us a bit about yourself.
Well I am a long-time sports and news journalist who has worked for smaller newspapers and publications. I like the pace, but part of me wonders if I could do it at a bigger place. I am highly accolade in the profession and have been published over 10,000 times. I also won five national awards before I was 21. I live in Portland, Oregon and was born and raised in Chicago. Graduated from the University of Arizona a bit back. I am an avid sports fan following football, rugby union and league, cricket, basketball, hockey, lacrosse, American football, team handball, and futsal.

Could you tell us what work you currently have available?
The Dead Nations’ Army Series, beginning with “DNA: Code Flesh (Part I). It will be the first of six-eight novellas, all around 90-100 pages apiece. The thought is to have Code Flesh consist of the first two, Code Mind, the next two or three, and then the last, unnamed one, wrap it up with two or three. I also have a techno thriller out there called “The Enternet: Trapped Inside a WEB.”

Tell us about your latest release.
Dead Nations’ Army Series: DNA: Code Flesh (Part I). Well I decided that instead of hurrying to get DNA out I wanted to slowly introduce it to the mainstream. Then I consulted some other writers and asked them of the idea to produce a book serial of novellas to slowly get the brand out. I got a thumbs up so I went with it. It will be two books, four parts each. It basically is a political piece wrapped in zombie colors. According to some of my Facebook page fans, it is “highly politically charged,” and asks a lot of social/political questions we should be asking ourselves today. Is our educational system brainwashing us? Are we allowing the elite, wealthy, silver spoon kids wanting all of us “normal” people to die? Just look at insurance rates, medical, groceries, etc, etc. We have more elite kids in charge that come from silver than from dirt. DNA explores a more gruesome, yet realistic view at the lengths a totalitarian government would do to take over the world. The problem is that the zombies in DNA are not your garden variety, are the victims in essence, and offers, what will shock many, the perfect solution to solving the human race’s ills. Is it definitely an ending I believe we surprise many.

For someone unfamiliar with your work, how would you describe your writing?
Some people, early on, said DNA is written like a cross between George Romero meets Chuck Palaniuk. I am very much focused on analogy and using my stories as educational pieces on the ills of our world. We need some major fixing soon or we are in trouble.

What else do you have in the pipeline?
I plan to finish out the DNA series in the next year. I have a few publishers eyeballing it and we may go in that direction. Then I hope to work on my Nigel Fang vampire series – no glittering undead here. That series could also surprise some folks. I also hope to continue working on my Serene Field (supernatural) series, 24=1M (post-apocalyptic, political), the Hellearth Chronicles (biblical, fantasy, action), and my Advancement of Man Trilogy.

What writers have had the most influence on your own writing?
Stephen King, Phillip K. Dick. Anne Rice, Edgar Rice Burroughs, are the main culprits.
What was the last thing you read?
King’s latest on the Kennedy assassination and Tana French’s “Faithful Place.”

Anything else you’d like to tell us about?
I just hope the readers take advantage of the low $ and feel free to review my work. Any and all critique is welcome. I hope they enjoy the ride, join the Army, and spread the word.





No comments :