The Official Blog of Iain Rob Wright: A conversation with author, Dave Jeffery

Wednesday 26 October 2011

A conversation with author, Dave Jeffery

With us today is the author of the fantastic, Necropolis Rising.  I have a certain affinity with Dave as he lives in the next town over from me - small world!  For your pleasure, he is here to update us all about what he is working on.


Hey Dave, could you tell us what work you currently have available?

Hi Iain, thank you for inviting me along. I have several works available, both in print and ebook format. Necropolis Rising is a zombie novel that has been #1 on the Amazon UK Horror chart and has been well received by the zombie community and critics alike. My Campfire Chillers collection was released last month through Dark Continents Publishing and launched at Fantasy Con in Brighton, UK.
I also write adventure/mystery books featuring Beatrice Beecham, a teenage super-sleuth and I write regularly for anthologies and have been lucky enough to have work in the same books as John Russo, Tony Burgess and Gary McMahon.

For someone unfamiliar with your work, how would you describe your writing?

My writing varies depending upon the piece I'm working on at the time. The narrative for Necropolis Rising, for example, is fast paced and punchy. The Beatrice Beecham novels are driven by humour and the subtle dynamics between characters so they have the same pacing but a lighter air.
In everything I write the story comes first and I plan novels in advance to ensure that plot lines remain tight. I must confess that I cannot say the same for short stories. It’s not unusual for a short story project to change direction once in a while.

What writers have had the most influence on your own writing?
John Steinbeck
Stephen King
Iain Banks
James Herbert
Guy N Smith
Ray Bradbury
Robert Heinlein
Harry Harrison

To name but a few!

What do you have in the pipeline at the moment?
Projects underway at the moment include Necromancer: Necropolis Rising II, which is slated for a May 2012 release, a short story for Read the End First Anthology edited by Suzanne Robb and the official seventh book in the Guy N Smith 'Night of the Crabs' franchise with a foreword by the horror icon himself. This last project is, of course, a dream come true. 

What was the last thing you read?
Grapes of Wrath by Steinbeck. My favourite author of all time.

Anything else you’d like to tell us about?
I'd just like to give thanks to anyone who has invested time and money in my work. Without readers writers are nothing.

You can visit Dave at:  http://www.davejeffery.webs.com/

No comments :