The Official Blog of Iain Rob Wright: Interview with author, Graeme Clark

Saturday 25 May 2013

Interview with author, Graeme Clark

With me today is up and coming author, Graeme Clark.  Here's what he has to say...

What kind of writer are you and what do you have available at the moment?

I like to write psychological thrillers with a little horror thrown in. I begin with an
image that expands to a character then I start to write with no real aim but to get the bones
of a story down. I don't like planning and I hope this gives my stories an organic feel, growing as I
write. I never know where the characters are going to go, they lead; I never push them.
I have recently had a short story accepted into an anthology by the Fiction Writers Group on
Facebook. It's a group for new and experienced writers to learn, explore and interact with like-minded individuals who try and inspire each other. The goal was to use all the experience and knowledge of the group to, create, edit and publish a book of short stories with wildly different styles and genres, and we succeeded. It's called Writers' Anarchy and is available on Lulu.com in all formats and soon to be available on Amazon, Nook and Barnes and Noble. My contribution is called Chaos Rains.


What do you have in the pipeline?

I am currently working on a submission for Writers' Anarchy 2 out in October. This one has an 'End of the World' theme and my story is called 'Where the Dark Waits'.  I also have a planned novella anthology of my own three stories, 'The Biting Cold', 'The Beast Without,' and 'The Men with the Brown Bag.' All horror and all in the hands of Screaming Spires Publications that I am hoping to release in the Autumn/Winter 2013. I have started my first full length novel called 'The Rising Dead' that has a twist on the genre that I hope will engage readers and inject something different into the 'zombie' genre that will keep it fresh.


Why should people check out your work?

I may write horror or psychological thrillers but they are very much grounded in reality. I try and keep my stories as plausible as I can and try very hard to be as original as I possibly can be, twisting the usual. Ordinary people in extra ordinary situations, drop them in and wait.  My sub-conscious is always at least one step ahead and this makes for an 'anything can happen' narrative that drives me and should drive the reader. If I don't know where the story is going as I'm writing then the reader shouldn't be able to second guess. I only worry about joining the dots in the second draft.


What are your inspirations?

My biggest inspirations are those who I interact with on Facebook at the moment. The writers, artists and thinkers who always have something to say.  Stories of their successes, achievements, releases, next projects and rejections have continually motivated me in the last year and without
them I would not be doing this interview. Doors have opened and connections made that have been invaluable.


Where would you like to be in five years time?

I would like to be writing more novels. Short stories are a quick fix but I really want to be focusing on novel length works. Ideas come thick and fast I need to nail a few down and this is why The Rising Dead finally started this year after months of it rolling about my head. I think it may run onto a second book but I will see where this one takes me. The challenge of a novel is very appealing and if I can get through to the end of this one then I will have proved to myself that I have that discipline, the ability to do it and short stories will be a thing of the past.

What's your favorite Theme Park Ride?

Rock n Roller coaster Paris Eurodisney. Close second is the Temple of Doom at the same resort and I still like The Big One at Blackpool Pleasure Beach but it's been a few years since I visited there.

What country would you like to visit most one day?

I have family in Canada and always said I would love to visit but just haven't managed with one thing or another cropping up year on year, but still on my list.

Best television show right now?

Enjoying 666 Park Avenue, started slowly but has picked up pace in recent weeks. Revolution is also interesting but seems to have a similar formula to Lost which wouldn't necessarily be a bad thing but it's just too familiar now.


2 comments :

Earl Chessher said...

Great interview. Author interviews are a good thing, and your blog is a solid, as far as this reader/writer is concerned. Thanks for doing these, and also for offering writers and independent publishers opportunities to say something positive about their works. Earl Chessher

Iain Rob Wright said...

No problem, Earl. If we all help each other out we all benefit. Enough people have helped me in the past for me not to take it for granted.