A picture of the Winyates pub in Redditch, on which The Trumpet is based, can be seen here. It's a grotty, unfriendly little pub where I used to drink with my Dad growing up. On the right you can see the steps where Jess slipped and fell down.
I included a lot of 'Easter eggs' in the book which it seems most people didn't get. So here are a list of a few little tidbits of info about the book. SPOILERS TO FOLLOW.
- The pub is called 'The Trumpet' as a reference to the trumpets that will be played to signal Armageddon (check you Revelations)
- LUCAS FERGUS is obviously an allusion to LUCIFER (Most people got that)
- Harry ran a furniture business and was a carpenter like Jesus. He also offered to absolve the world's sins by sacrificing himself.
- Damien is named after the antichrist in The Omen (although this is just to create irony when he switches to a good guy later on)
- The snow storm is a new take on Noah's Ark and the biblical floods
- There are a gazillion horror film references courtesy of Jerry
- Ben turning to a pillar of salt after looking back behind him is a reference to Job's wife fleeing Sodom and Gomorrah
- Harry's surname is Jobson (Job's son)
- Lucas "coming from the South after originally being from the North" and "having a falling out with his Father" is a sly reference to him falling from Heaven
- He also asks the others if they can "bear some light" (Lucifer, in the bible, is a light bearer made from fire. Humans are made from clay.)
- The Angel, Michael, also has a flaming sword, which was originally used to bring down fire upon Sodom and Gomorrah